Self Sufficient Living; On a Farm
"Prepare Today For Tommorrow"
"What does self sufficient living mean to you?"
Produce your own food, unplug from the electric grid, build your own homestead and maintain a frugal life style?
Did you know… it is a lifestyle for many people today and... the way things are looking... it may become a norm of our future?
So, you might ask, "where do I start?" Well, you've already taken the first step by finding us. Now, it's time to get involved and frankly, I want and need your participation.
You can probably tell that I'm pretty much an up front guy. I don't like to hum hall around, I'd rather just get to the point.
So, the first thing I'd like to ask you to do is:
1. If you are interested in self sufficient living, which you obviously are or you wouldn't be here, then please join our community by signing up for our newsletter. Please enter your first name and email in our subscription box in the right column. I don't send out many emails, after all, I'm a farmer and I have chores to do which is my main priority....and love. And, I try to make our emails as good as possible, or at least entertaining. We also have free ebooks, plans and such that we give away. It's not about taking from each other but rather of what you can give. I'm learning more about that everyday!
2. Explore what others are writing about inside "Farm's R Us" . After you check out others postings. I encourage you to participate and tell about your life and what steps you are taking now toward self sufficient living. And don't forget to upload a pic or several pics of yourself or farm life. Let's face it, one person can't do it all. That's why I need you too!
3. Take our Self Sufficient brain challenge to get you thinking about how life would really be if you went full pledge.
4. Go ahead and explore our site now and leave me some feedback. I know there are several things that need to be accomplished to make this site more user friendly for everyone. So, I appreciate your input. Good or bad...I can take it! I'm a farmer!
You see, during the past few years and those cold days and bad weather and even some lonely nights, I've been in the house learning how to build this website. I finally discovered SBI, which is a total DREAM!
They have taken me from the basics to where I'm at today. Like the tiger says....Their GR...EAT!!!
Anyway, you can find out a little more about me in the about me page. But take heed, I'm a mess!...Not really...yeah really...lol
Honestly, life has been great for me. I have everything and anything a guy could want. And, If I don't have it....well, i'll make it...or hire someone else to make it for me! But, like the old saying goes, Anything worth having is worth working for.
Just remember History always repeats itself!
Today’s economy is becoming more and more difficult and complicated. The cost of living has sky rocketed and has put a tremendous strain on many households.
Many people find themselves working eighty hours a week just to maintain their lifestyles. They feel trapped by the demands of society and don't see true happiness.
If you enjoy country living or even live in urban or rural communities, you too can have self sufficient living. You can grow a garden in your backyard, build a greenhouse, raise chickens for eggs and meat, milk your own cow(that might be hard if you're urban)!
Yes, it is hard work, but also enjoyable! Like the old adage says; Anything worth having is worth working for.
Wouldn't it be great to grow tomatoes that taste good, or bake bread that does not have additives, and enjoy holidays that are not commercialized?
With today's economy, we tend to opt for the quickest solution for our day to day needs. We rely on store bought goods to get us through. Back to basics living is what this website is all about.
Don't get me wrong, buying what we need is sometimes essential and convenient. After all, our society is based on the monetary system. But reaping the fruits of our labor is a reward in itself.
Self sufficient living intentions are to provide practical, useful information and resources on just about every homestead skill and handicraft imaginable.
We hope to provide the boost that you will need to get you back to the basics of living and help you become a successful homesteader and even an entreprenuer!
Our goal is to help you become more self sufficient, and teach you how to take those skills and create your own farm/home based business.
Check out these Green Business ideas for small farmers and homesteaders.There are a variety for businesses you can start from your home....some involve livestock, gardening, and some are office and community involvement.
You will be able to try your hand at Candle making, broom making and stone masonry. You will discover how to create Lucious Soaps and even tan a hide!
All the necessary skills are presented in detail and can be easily obtained and mastered to help you on your way to self sufficient living.
Emergency Food Kits are also available. They are preserved in liquid nitrogen and will last up to 25 years.
We just don't know what is in our future, but I plan on being prepared Order for your family today!
I also share stories from my farm and how my day begins before sunrise and ends well past dark. Oak Springs Mountain Ranch Yes, I do have a farm and it keeps me pretty busy.
Farming is a GREAT WAY OF LIFE and it's where I belong. And with today's technology many of us are able to stay on the farm. Here's how I began my homestead adventure. Farm Office
We would love to hear how you use self sufficient living in your daily lives as well. Contact Us if we can be of any help.
- The Self Sufficient Blog
- The Self Sufficient Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to self-sufficient-farm-living.com Web site. Subscribe here.
- Shop Country
- Shop country has information and items for the self sufficient family.
- Renewable Energy All Across the Nation
- The energy joyride came to a sudden stop in 1973 and again in today's economy. Renewable Energy is making the best of the crisis.
- Homesteading Your Home
- Homesteading your home offers careful planning with a modest investment. Almost anyone can turn the dream of buying a small farm or a few acres of country land and building a home into a reality.
- Raising Livestock
- Raising Livestock provides meat, milk, eggs and heavy work too.
- Planting A Garden
- Planting a garden provides many benefits in itself. It makes me feel like I am a partner of the land . A successful garden requires careful planning and design. Find your garden information here.
- PVC Greenhouse
- Look at my pvc greenhouse as I describe how I made it. If I can build one, anybody can!
- Used Farm Equipment Classifieds
- Up-to-date listing of the best used farm equipment classifieds . Find exactly what your farm needs are here. We can accomplish much more in a day then the old timers could in a month.
- Country Cooking Recipes
- Hello, and thanks for stopping by. Many of the Country Cooking Recipes have been collected from my mother's kitchen. There's nothing better then tasteing down home country cooking.
- Country Crafts and Skills
- Homesteaders depended on country crafts and skills for comfort and enjoyment. Handicrafts were once part of every day living.
- Beekeeping is a hobby that yields so much satisfaction in return for such a small investment in money and labor.
- Fruits and Nuts
- By raising your own fruits and nuts, you gain freshness and a range of flavor that cannot be matched by store bought fruit.
- Herbal Medicine
- Growing your own herbs is the best way to obtain ingredients for herbal medicine, since the effectiveness of most herbs is highest when the leaves are fresh. you can collect herbs in the wild,
- Fence Styles
- Fence styles have evolved throughout the centuries into a panorama of varieties designed to suit specific needs.
- Legal Homeschooling
- Learn the legal homeschooling laws in your state and get off to a good start homeschooling your children.
- Great Resources
- A listing of Great Resources that I hope will help my visitors find what they are looking for.
- Self Sufficient Farm Living Newsletter
- Self Sufficient Farm Living Newsletter gives update on new articles monthly
- Yes, Work From Home!
- A farmer, 45 miles to the nearest city, tells his story of financial freedom from the workforce.
- Contact Us
- Thank you for responding to our contact us form. We appreciate your comments and suggestions.
- Animal Husbandry Books
- Best animal husbandry books on raising and caring for Livestock. Health=Value=Wealth
- Flower Garden Ideas
- Flower garden ideas and organic vegetable ideas for companion planting.
- Green Business Ideas
- Green Business Ideas for the new entrepreneur. Many of these jobs take place on the farm. Follow you passion, that's what I do.
- Self Sufficient Farm Living
- There is nothing like the feeling of self sufficient farm living. Why pay the high prices of today's economy when you can make or build it yourself.